1. What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?
I moved to a new country and began living by myself.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions and will you make more for next year?
Resolutions from 2014:
#1 Stay happy, busy and focused after I quit working full time. Do not slide into emo uselessness. (Yep, mostly did this one) #2 Move overseas for at least a year. No chickening out! (Check!)
#3 Stay active and fit. (Er, did not really stick to this one after I moved. In my defence, it's super hard to stay active with London weather being so crap.)
#4 Learn and become familiar with at least 10 family recipes before moving overseas. (Didn't fully manage 10 recipes either)
New resolutions for 2015:
#1 Be bold
#2 Get fit again
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Quite a few! England, Scotland, Denmark, Sweden, France, Germany, Czech Republic, Italy, Greece, Turkey.
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
Companionship and community. Love.
7. What date from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 27 - Left Australia for the UK.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Moving out and learning to live by myself.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Eh... probably giving in to the temptation of World of Warcraft again. Also general lack of fitness.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Yet to be confirmed as "best thing" but a ticket to the last Xena con is pretty significant.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Ruth and Xin for being really great and supportive. The move over here would have been a lot more stressful and sucky without them.
Jackie for regular Facebook/FaceTime chats and Miriam for semi-regular emails which are both very much appreciated.
Rianna for keeping up the daily photos of Kitteh which are very necessary for this particular cat owner.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Lawl, Orthodox Jewish School is pretty appalling and depressing.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Oh jesus. Where HASN'T my money gone? London is fucking expensive man. The biggest expense is accommodation so, yeah, that.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I haven't really been that excited about anything because, weirdly, I've had a very emotionally flat year despite the Eurotrip in June/July and the moving overseas in August/September and despite going to Scandinavia again which has always been high on my to-do list. But I did have some very squee moments on my first day in Copenhagen because there was snow everywhere and it was beautiful.
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2014?
In reverse chronological order:
Damien Rice - I Don't Want to Change You
Runrig - Loch Lomond
The Silencers - Wild Mountain Thyme
Missy Higgins - Shark Fin Blues
Missy Higgins - Nye
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Sadder (but mainly because this time last year I was enjoying the glorious Australian summer holidays with long days, warm weather and plenty of time to relax)
ii. thinner or fatter? Fatter
iii. richer or poorer? I guess I am overall slightly richer because I always save more than I spend, but I feel poorer because the amount I save is much less now.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I'm not sure about this one. I think I've done all that I can to do what I want/should. If that makes sense.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Working, but that can't be helped. Working = money to support myself.
20. How did you spend New Year's?
I spent New Year's travelling back to London from Copenhagen. The morning consisted of a walk, a ride on Copenhagen's metro, surprisingly long lines at the airport, a nice chat with a Danish woman while we were stuck in line and worried we'd miss our flight, a wondrously short flight, followed by two very long bus rides to get back to the flat. I spent the afternoon unpacking, snacking on knackbrod and chorizo, reading and playing WoW.
21. Did you fall in love in 2014?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Didn't really have a stand-out favourite but here is what I watched:
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Seasons 3-9
How I Met Your Mother Season 9
Lost Girl Season 4
Game of Thrones S3
Orange is the New Black S2
The Borgia S1-3
The Bridge S1-2
The Good Wife S4-S5
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD S2
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. I think my favourite was Vol. 7 Brief Lives.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2014?
I don't think I discovered any new music this year, which is terrible.
26. What did you want and get?
Independence and adventure.
27. What did you want and not get?
Romance, passion, companionship.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went on a hike in Sussex with Ruth and Takeshi. I turned 28.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having someone with whom to share all the new things I'm experiencing. Having someone in general. :/
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
TERRIBLE. I couldn't bring many clothes with me so I basically have work clothes and comfortable-stay-at-home clothes. I have maybe two outfits that are okay for going out in but they're for fairly casual settings too. Also my work clothes have to fit Ultra-Orthodox Jewish clothing restrictions so no elbows, collarbones or knees showing. Basically I feel like a super daggy crossdresser everytime I dress for work fml.
32. What kept you sane?
The internet! Being able to communicate with friends/family over long distances is amazing. World of Warcraft. Stories/fiction.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I haven't had any new celebrity crushes this year. Emotional flatness or growing up? Idk.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Ferguson and all the related stuff.
35. Who did you miss?
KITTEH. Oh god I miss her furry little face.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Probably Marianne who I met off OKC and we've hung out a couple of times. She's lovely and easy to talk to/laugh with, but I haven't developed any strong feelings about her and she's going back to Poland anyway. I think we could be good friends given more time and less distance.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014:
The things I want are both simpler and harder to attain than what I have.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"The captain once as able as a fink dandy
He's now laid up in the galley like a dried out mink
He's laying dying of thirst and he says or I think
Well, we're gonna be alone from here on in"
39. What was your favourite moment of the year?
There should be so many things, given all the travelling I've done, but I can't think of a particular single moment that stands out. No, that's a cop out answer. I need to learn to consciously remember the good times so that depressing times don't overwhelm me. Let me think. Okay, here are a bunch, in no particular order:
- Winning and then losing on double 1s in Monopoly against Ingrid and Karine
- Watching Xin come home and bring in her rubbish bin one sunny autumn afternoon
- BBQ with Xin and Ryan followed by movie night
- Eating delicious bacon pancakes with Lucia and her friends for her birthday brunch
- Watching Lucy Lawless speak at Supernova with Jackie and Kerryn
- Shanghai Mahjong Club farewell dinner
- Eating ice cream/gelati with Ingrid in Lyon
- Munching on a delicious duck wrap with Ruth in Covent Garden
- Playing with Kitteh in the sun
- Rowing a gondola in Venice with Mum and Rianna
- Roaming around Edinburgh and climbing to the top of Arthur's Seat
- Being amazed by all the snow on Boxing Day in Copenhagen
40. What was your least favourite moment of the year?
Various stressful days involving flatmate arguments, looking for a new home, wage negotiations with ANZUK/YHS and supply teaching in certain shitty schools.
41. Where were you when 2015 began?
I was in Rådhuspladsen in Copenhagen, watching the fireworks.
42. Who were you with?
43. Where will you be when 2015 ends?
I don't know. Probably back in Australia.
44. Who will you be with when 2014 ends?
Hopefully my family or friends.
45. Did you break up with anyone in 2014?
46. Did you make any new friends in 2014?
Yes: Takeshi, Marianne and Elaine. I also met the following people though who knows if real friendship will have the opportunity to develop: Sarah Knight, Lee Tobin, Xavier Lefol.
47. What was your favourite month of 2014?
48. What was your least favorite month of 2014?
September was tough.
49. Was 2014 a good year for you?
50. Post one picture that accurately represents this year.
I can't pick a single picture since too many different things have happened but here's an album with a picture for every day sine I left Australia: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=