My new linguistic arch-nemisis: the Dutch R. An alveolar trill I might be able to swing, but a uvular trill, srsly? -.-
One day, Dutch R, one day I will defeat you!
|You're viewing lishesquex's journal|
Create a Dreamwidth Account Learn More
The Hopi, an Indian tribe, have a language as sophisticated as ours, but no tenses for past, present and future. The division does not exist. What does this say about time?
Matter, that thing the most solid and the well-known, which you are holding in your hands and which makes up your body, is now known to be mostly empty space. Empty space and points of light. What does this say about the reality of the world?
-- Jeanette Winterson
1. I am certain I am going to do badly in Semantics this semester. Main reason: my tutor is Tania Strahan. Sorry, Dr. Tania Strahan. She's the hottest tutor I've ever had. She's a rather brilliant linguist, not to mention tall, Scandinavian, gorgeous, and a musician (plays bass guitar or something in a band). Oh, and she rides to uni on a bicycle in like... tight bike shorts. Sometimes she's late and doesn't have time to change so she turns up all sweaty and flushed and... nevermind. -.-
I've had her for Intro to Linguistics in first year, which went somewhat okay, and also for Syntax last year, which was a disaster. Anyway. Dr. Tania Strahan? Bad news for my grades. *nods*
2. I bought a Nintendo DS a while back. Now I'm considering getting the new Pokemon game. I know, sad isn't it? And Xin, NO PIKACHU COMMENTS (nor you, Jackie).
3. I can't be bothered doing more posts about my trip to America because I've been home a month so it feels kind of pointless and I'm too busy *coughplayingWoWcough* with uni. But I'll upload photos up onto flickr bit by bit and one day, soon, I will linkr you to them.
4. Some days, when I remember certain things, I feel like an arse. Today is one of those days.
5. My WoW server (Elune) is down for maintenance for two days. Woe.
6. I watched the BBC adaptation of Fingersmith on the weekend. I liked it. Elaine Cassidy played Maud really well. Not to mention, she's cute. :-D
7. Trivia bot: What's the past tense of the verb "to ring"? (Hint: what's the past tense of the verb "to dive")
I just had a dream that I was kidnapped by Czechoslovakians and sold into slavery. I was researching their language for a linguistics assignment, so I was okay with being captured. But as the dream went on, I got more and more stressed out because they just wouldn't speak Czech to me even though my assignment was about to be due in. I think I eventually escaped but failed my assignment.
I suppose this is what comes of going to sleep without having done my linguistics readings. -.-